I was browsing the Philips website when I came to this IC : TDA7088 and I said wow 😀 , it was the simplest AM/FM radio I ever saw. I looked on its price on a local electronic parts provider and it was about 5 RON (~1.7$) so it is worth building this radio as a hobby project.
Features of the chip :
- Equipped with all stages of a mono receiver from antenna to audio output
- Mute circuit
- Search tuning with a single varicap diode
- Mechanical tuning with integrating AFC
- AM application supported
- Power supply polarity protection
- Power supply voltage down to 1.8 V.
A simple circuit, taken from the application notes :
As we can see it doesn’t have an audio amplifier so you must build one for it! After another search I found an extremly simple and low cost (~1.2$) AA done with TDA7050 :
After my exams I think will do it and put here the construction images :D.
- http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/TDA7088.html – reference page for TDA7088
- http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/TDA7050.html – reference page for TDA7050