Updated : 12 August 2007 … after a week like hell finally I got some time to fix the plugin and add the possibility to use CURL for file retrieval . To set it just open the file and look after this line “define (“USE_CURL”,0);” , by default it is set to use file_get_contents, if you want it to get the file using CURL or if you receive an error (some hosts doesn’t let file_get_contents/fopen to read external files) replace that line with “define (“USE_CURL”,1);”
I was really busy last few weeks and I had almost no free time to write on my blogs or talk with the friends. Now, the things are better, at least for the next 2 days
Sunday evening, I wanted to write some posts on my Journey Diary ( http://www.romanianjourney.com ) and I couldn’t find any WordPress plugin that lets the user to manually select the zoom so I started writing my own one ( though this is my first plugin ever wrote ). After few hours of work I managed to get a working version.
GMMS features : you can write an address or a set of coordinates, you can manually set the zoom level 😀 , you can set the width/height of the map.
GMMS limitations : maximum one map per post.
This version is exactly what I wanted but if I get enough requests I will develop it even further :).
Here are the steps you need to make in order to install the plugin :
- download the plugin : GMMG 1.02 – WordPress Plugin
- open it using any text/php editor you want
- go to http://www.google.com/apis/maps/signup.html , read & check the agreement checkbox , insert your website URL, press the “Generate API key” button. Copy & paste your newly created API key into the GMMS.php at line 38, replacing the PASTE_YOUR_GOOGLE_API_KEY_HERE with your API key. While there you can also change the default map Zoom Level, Width and/or Height.
- Don’t forget to save you file.
- Upload the file into the plugins folder of your WordPress installation ( wp-content/plugins/ )
- Login to your administration area and go to “Plugins” to activate GMMS.
- You are done 😛
Usage : there are 2 mods ( The ZoomLevel,Height and Weight can be optional ) :
- address based :
- coordinates based :
- Examples :
- Working example : http://www.nekhbet.ro
If you have any questions/suggestions …. feel free to ask
Edited ( 15 June 2007 , 09:45 AM ) : If you want to be kept updated on new releases I suggest to subscribe to the blog’s feed.